Thanks to Boris Branwhite for alerting me to this beauty!
“Earth turns to gold in the hands of the wise”- Rumi
Designed by Nader Khalili, Cal-Earth‘s Eco-Dome is a modular, tree-free building method. Using earth bags, a single dome should be able to be constructed by 3-5 people fairly quickly… additional dome sections can be added almost ad lib to sculpt the Eco-Dome to your needs.
Some features of the Eco-Dome include:
- Built from local earth-filled Superadobe coils (soil-cement or lime-stabilized earth).
- Tree free.
- Maximum use of space through alternative options.
The main dome and four niches, depending on local code approval, can function as:
a) main living room, entrance hall, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom (called “bed-womb” because of it’s small, organic form!)
b) living room, entrance hall, and three bed-rooms.
c) living room, entrance hall, two bedrooms, and a bathroom.
- Self-contained single unit (potential for a guest house or studio apartment) or double unit (larger family residence).
- Can be repeated and joined together to form larger homes and courtyard houses.
- Can be built by a team of 3-5 persons.
- Designed with the sun, shade and wind in mind for passive cooling and heating.
- Wind-scoop can be combined with a rated furnace unit, depending on local code approval. Solar energy and radiant heating may be incorporated.
- Interior furniture can be built-in with same material.